I admit to not being much of a cook – more through lack of effort and motivation than anything else, plus I’m lucky enough to have a hubby who has happily taken on the title of resident chef and drip feeds me tasty healthy meals – (thanks Mr T – you’re the bomb).
However I have always loved to bake and since going sugar free a few months ago I’ve been experimenting with sugar and gluten free baking. I’ve been amazed at how easy it is to give some of my fave treats and desserts a clean eating make over.
The Banoffee pie sits high up on the indulgent and yum desserts pedestal – me thinks if you can clean up this baby you can clean up pretty much anything (except maybe a deep fried Mars bar or Twinkie – ewww). So I got to work at giving the Banoffee Pie an extreme make over – clean eating style, (inspired by a few recent recipes that included sugar free caramel made from dates) ….. and this was the result.
Is your mouth watering….nom nom nom.
So without further ado I’ll give you what you want, what you really really want…..the recipe.
Eat-Sweat-Think – Cleaned up Banoffee Pie (Sugar and Gluten Free)
- 1 cup of LSA (Linseed, Sunflower and Almond Meal)
- 1 cup of walnuts (or you could use pecans or almonds)
- Half cup of coconut flour
- 1 tbspn of chia seeds
- 2 tspns of pure vanilla extract
- Half cup of dates
- Half cup of coconut oil
- Quarter cup of pure maple syrup (optional)
Caramel and Banana Filling
- 2 cups of dates (soaked in boiling water for a couple of hours at least)
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 1 third of cup of almond butter
- 1 tbspn of macca powder (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Juice Squeeze from half a lemon
- 2 bananas (sliced and drizzled with a little lemon juice to stop them going brown)
- Raw organic cream (if you can get it or normal if you can’t)
- Couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate or a few cocoa nibs finely chopped
- Put nuts, LSA, coconut flour, dates and chia seats in a food processor and pulse to a fine crumb.
- Melt coconut oil along with vanilla extra and maple syrup. When melted add to the crumb mix and pulse in the food processor until combined.
- Press into a greased (with coconut oil or butter) 9inch cheese cake tin (one of the ones with the removable base works best) and place in the fridge to chill.
- Place soaked dates, vanilla pod seeds, macca powder, almond butter, lemon juice and salt in a food processor and combine to a paste. If too thick add a splash of water.
- Spread a very thin layer over the crumb base in the tin then layer with the banana slices. Then smooth the remaining mixture over the top of the bananas and place tin back in the fridge while you whip up the cream.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks and smear over the top of the pie. Finish off with a sprinkle of grated 85% dark chocolate or finely chopped cocoa nibs. Place back in the fridge until you are ready to devour…GET IN MY BELLY.
A word of caution – you can have to much of a good thing (even if it is clean)
The clean eating treat recipes I post on my page are indeed a healthier alternative, however just because they are healthier doesn’t mean you can eat them in abundance if you are wanting to lean up or even maintain where you are. They are still treats to be eaten in moderation as part of a balanced diet, or on special occasions like a girls dinner catch up with a couple of besties like I did (thanks for a great night Serah Rickard and Kelly Smith).